Don't Breathe is a intense and claustrophobic thriller that showcases Stephen Lang's amazing acting abilities
Morgan is an underwhelming sci-fi thriller that we've seen done better many times before
Kubo and the Two Strings is a beautiful stop-motion Japanese folktale that offers a great story, gorgeous visuals, and a lot of heart for all viewers
What you won't expect from Hell or High Water is how two bank robbers and two U.S. Marshals will all warm your heart as it builds to the inevitable showdown
Suicide Squad might not be a perfect movie, but it is definitely the best in the DC Extended Universe so far. Hopefully this will be the start of a new, better direction

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Angie Tribeca Season 1 (Hulu)

Angie Tribeca is a spoof on procedural police dramas that was created by Steve Carell (The Office) and his wife, Nancy Walls Carell. The 10 episode comedy initially premiered with a 24 hour marathon on TBS. Angie Tribeca is much in the vein of Police Squad, Naked Gun, and Airplane, so if you enjoy those kinds of movies, this show will probably be right up your alley. With Angie Tribeca finally coming over to Hulu, I've been able to watch it and tell you all what I thought.


I need to begin this review off by saying that I'm not a huge fan of satire as a comedic tool. That could be because I haven't seen many, I still have not seen Airplane, Hot Shots, or Scary Movie. However, I enjoy many of Mel Brooks movies. Spaceballs is one of my all-time favorite movies. So even though satires aren't my favorite there was still a lot to like in Angie Tribeca.

The Good:

The characters. Rashida Jones (Parks & Recreation) plays Angie Tribeca, and although she was honestly my least favorite character as Anne in Parks & Rec, she does a great job as a detective in this spoof. On top of Rashida Jones, everyone in Angie Tribeca do an excellent job delivering ridiculous dialog with a completely straight face.

The writing. One of my biggest problems with satire in general is that many of the jokes are too crude for my humor. Luckily, Angie Tribeca premiered on TBS, so the humor had to be kept at a PG-13 rating, and while that hurts comedies sometimes, I felt that the writers had find ways to be more clever and they ended up finding a sweet spot. And while there are still some jokes that do miss the mark, the pace is so quick that there is always something funny right around the corner.

The cameos. Like any good spoof, there are a number of cameos throughout the show. Many of them are quick and may have only 1 or 2 lines, but the surprise and humor that they bring are almost always worth it.

The opening. I don't want to give away how every episode of the show opens, but fans of CSI: Miami will definitely get a laugh at the beginning of every episode. I enjoyed seeing how the opening was going to be spun.

The Ehh:

As I said before, there are some jokes that fall flat, but they can't all be winners. So I'll give it a pass.

The Ugh-ly:

Nothing!

Conclusion:

Angie Tribeca isn't revolutionary in its style or humor, and I wouldn't even call it a great television show, but it did keep me entertained for 10 episodes and I'm very excited to see what they bring in season two. I even can see me putting it on in the background like I do with other comedies.

So if you like straight procedural police dramas or satires, and honestly even then the show might not be for you, and that's ok. I'd say give give Angie Tribeca at least a one episode try, and if you don't like the first episode, you won't like the others much either.


So that's what I thought of Angie Tribeca Season 1, what did you think? And what other comedy satires do you like? Leave your comments below, and remember to always keep it unpopped!

Angie Tribeca, now streaming on Hulu.

No comments:

Post a Comment