Don't Breathe is a intense and claustrophobic thriller that showcases Stephen Lang's amazing acting abilities
Morgan is an underwhelming sci-fi thriller that we've seen done better many times before
Kubo and the Two Strings is a beautiful stop-motion Japanese folktale that offers a great story, gorgeous visuals, and a lot of heart for all viewers
What you won't expect from Hell or High Water is how two bank robbers and two U.S. Marshals will all warm your heart as it builds to the inevitable showdown
Suicide Squad might not be a perfect movie, but it is definitely the best in the DC Extended Universe so far. Hopefully this will be the start of a new, better direction

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Why Captain America: Civil War Is My Favorite Superhero Movie

Spoiler Free Thoughts From Captain America: Civil War


Marvel Studios

I have had almost a week to think about Captain America: Civil War. My initial thoughts can be found here. I can honestly say my first viewing I had a few qualms with the movie. However, after my second viewing many of them were smoothed over. Now, a week out, and I can finally say where to place Civil War in my pantheon of other superhero movies. 

#1

That's right, I had to think on it quite a bit, but I think I have decided that Civil War is my favorite superhero movie. Before this movie my two favorite superhero movies were Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Dark Knight. Previously those two have done leap frog jumping back and forth on taking number one. Sometimes it hinged on which one I saw more recently, and honestly, since I saw Civil War only 5 days ago, it is very possible that is a factor in my decision.

Regardless of whether my opinion changes in a year or even tomorrow, today it is definitely my favorite. Usually I don't like comparing movies directly, but the only way I can figure out how to explain my thinking is to compare it with my two other favorite movies.

Captain America: Winter Soldier


Marvel Studios

I love Winter Soldier, and there is no doubt in my mind that the first two-thirds of Winter Soldier is better than Civil War. However, for me the last third of the movie kind of declines in quality. It goes from the spy thriller that it had been to your typical military infiltration scene. It is still great, don't get me wrong, but I feel that the last third of Winter Soldier just doesn't hold up as the first two.

Civil War on the other hand is consistently good throughout. There are action scenes throughout the movie that kept the it flowing and entertaining. Add that to the intensity and weight of the Sokovia Accords and you are taken on a ride with so many unexpected twists and turns. It was a near perfect film from beginning to end.

The Dark Knight


Warner Bros Studios

Often considered the best superhero movie, and by many accounts I agree. However, there is a flaw in the movie that has been pointed out by other. That being that much of The Dark Knight's success of the movie rest solely on Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. If you take out his performance, the movie is still good, but it does diminish quite a bit. Heath Ledger was able to elevate the character, the dialog, and even other actors with his portrayal. It is truly nothing short of amazing.

In Civil War there are characters that stand out more that others, and some of the actor's performances do vary in quality. However, the collective whole of the performances in Civil War are better than the collective performances of everyone in The Dark Knight. The interactions between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers regarding the Accords are so dramatic and weighty that even after the movie has ended I can't decide who's team I truly agree with. For those reasons Civil War, to me, is the superior film.

Conclusion

I know that my opinion may change and that after seeing Civil War more I might concede that Winter Soldier or The Dark Knight are superior films, but I stand by my current feelings in that Civil War delivered a more complete package than either of these two films and thus makes it superior in quality and enjoyment.

What are your thought on Captain America: Civil War compared to other superhero movies? Where does it rank with your other favorites? Am I completely crazy and should learn to shut my mouth? Let me know below with you unpopped comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment