Don't Breathe is a intense and claustrophobic thriller that showcases Stephen Lang's amazing acting abilities
Morgan is an underwhelming sci-fi thriller that we've seen done better many times before
Kubo and the Two Strings is a beautiful stop-motion Japanese folktale that offers a great story, gorgeous visuals, and a lot of heart for all viewers
What you won't expect from Hell or High Water is how two bank robbers and two U.S. Marshals will all warm your heart as it builds to the inevitable showdown
Suicide Squad might not be a perfect movie, but it is definitely the best in the DC Extended Universe so far. Hopefully this will be the start of a new, better direction

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

'Tetris the Movie' Is Officially Official: Is This Real Life?

I know this is the one that everyone has been waiting for. Tetris, the 32-year-old video game about shifting different sized blocks, has official secured a budget of $80M and will being filming in China in 2017, according to DeadlineTetris the Movie will be produced by Threshold Global Studios, which is a new production company from USA based Threshold Entertainment Group and China based Seven Star Works.



What?!

I honestly don't even know what to say. When I heard of The Lego Movie, I was actually pretty excited. I knew that Lego had success making video games and that the story telling could transition into movies. The Angry Birds Movie was also a mystery to me, but I figured with they could take the simple story of the game and expand it in a way that could at least be entertaining for kids (see my full review here). But Tetris?? I have no idea how they are going to pull this one off. Pixels proved last year that the nostalgia for 80's video games isn't has high as people may think.

Trilogy?!

What is even more crazy is that Larry Kasanoff of Threshold Entertainment Group has stated that the film is being billed as a sci-fi thriller and will be the first in a trilogy of movies based on the classic game. I don't even know what one movie could be about, let alone three. Then billing it as a sci-fi thriller, once again all I can really envision is a more serious Pixels, and the only thing that could have make Pixels worse was by making it more serious.

Wait and See

I know I'm throwing out a lot of judgments on a film that is extremely early in production, and that is why we just have to wait and see what happens. With filming beginning in 2017, we'll probably start seeing casting a plot details being revealed near the end of the year. However, even that little bit of optimism that I may have does not outweigh the confusion I have to the thought of Tetris being made into a movie.

What do you think of the idea of Tetris being made into a movie? What are some other classic games that you think could be made into films? Leave your comments below and remember to always keep it unpopped.

2 comments:

  1. They'll probably cast a bunch of squares for the roles. Real two dimensional actors. But I'm sure the cast will really fit together well, even though they'll be wiping themselves out with each and every line.

    ReplyDelete